I know this is a cookie blog... and a scone isn't a cookie. But for all of my fall friends, I knew you would want me to share this recipe (as you can see I didn't think I would post this on the blog so there is only 1 picture). Most of you know fall is my favorite time of year and pumpkin is my favorite ingredient. My fetish with pumpkin started when I moved to NYC. Rachel found this amazing pumpkin bread recipe and the rest is history. From this love came Fall Day which consists of baking all things pumpkin, apple and spice. So for the next 2 months get ready for a mixture of fall food recipes! Here is my first recipe. I was camping this weekend and finally felt fall in the air. This of course got me thinking pumpkins so as soon as I got home today I made this recipe as a study treat. These are GOOD... let's just say warm out of the oven you won't want to stop.
Pumpkin Scones (stolen from browneyedbaker.com)
(Makes 12 scones)
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
½ cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half or milk (whichever you have handy)
1 large egg
7 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
½ cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half or milk (whichever you have handy)
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Although after making these I was talking to my sister Kate who reminded me I could have used my baking stone... so that is what I will try next time.
Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in the cold butter using a dough blender or fork. In a separate bowl whisk together the pumpkin, milk and egg. Fold these wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and form into a bowl. Flour a hard surface and shape the dough into a rectangle about an inch thick. I used my cutting board so that I could cut the triangles later. Slice the dough into three sections and then each of those sections cut into an x pattern. Bake for 14-18 minutes or until slightly browned.
These scones are AMAZING. I didn't glaze them, but I would recommend a cream cheese glaze or this spiced glaze (which I have not tried, but looks yummy). ENJOY!
Spiced Glaze:
1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
No comments:
Post a Comment