| FALL BAKING DAY! |
I LOVE FALL! Every year for the past 5 years I have celebrated fall by having a fall baking day. This tradition started with my dear friends Jess Abel, Lindsey Walsh and Amber Petitt. We went down to the 14th st. Farmers Market, bought fresh apples and spent the day baking apple pies. From there it has developed into a day of all things fall. Sometimes we would focus on pumpkins, other times it would be apples, and one time we even drove out to Long Island and go wine tasting at Bedell Cellars (where Adam used to work). But no matter what, it is always a day where I can celebrate me favorite parts of fall: the food, changing colors, crisp air, and friends.
This October was much the same, minus the crisp air. I spent the day with my friend Meg and we baked up a storm. We tried all new recipes. Here was our menu:
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting
- Chocolate Shortbread Bars
- Apple Cider Doughnuts
- Oatmeal Spice Cookies (which I will cover on my next blog entry)
| Frying away |
| My baking partner Meg and her husband John |
| Glazing was a team effort |
Of all the recipes the Apple Cider Doughnuts were my favorite. And it was much easier than expected. I got the recipe from my favorite blog smitten kitchen and after the first bite I was transported back to 14th St. Farmers Market where I would always buy a glass of hot apple cider and a warm apple cider doughnut. These doughnuts are very cakey and have a wonderful fried outer that make you want to eat the whole batch. So yes, again I am sharing a recipe that is not a cookie, but it is a recipe everyone should try to get in the mood for fall!
| Meg added some cream cheese frosting for good measure. |
Apple Cider Doughnuts
(makes about 18 doughnuts)
1 cup apple cider
3 1/2 cups flour, plus additional for the work surface
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
Oil for frying
Glaze ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar
In a saucepan over medium head reduce the apple cider to about a 1/4 cup (20-30 minutes). Set aside to cool. While the apple cider is simmering combine the flour, baking pwd and soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside. Beat the butter and sugar until the mixture is smooth. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until completely incorporated. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Next gradually add the reduced apple cider and the buttermilk, mixing until just combined. Add the flour mixture and continue to mix just until the dough comes together.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and sprinkle it with flour. Turn the dough onto the floured baking sheet and flatten the dough with your hands until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Use as much flour as needed if the dough is still wet. Put the tray into the freezer for 20 min. until it is hardened. Then using a glass and a small toothpick holder for the doughnut hole, cut out doughnuts. You can also use a doughnut cutter but I didn't have one so I made my own). Put the doughnuts back in the freezer to harden further while you heat up your oil. (the oil is supposed to be 350 degrees but I just guessed when it was hot enough).
Carefully add the doughnuts to the oil and fry until golden brown. I guessed at this too but the first one I pulled out was still doughy in the middle so I kept them in a little longer then needed. It is shocking how quickly they expand and become a doughnut. Flip the doughnut over making sure to fry both sides. Place on a paper towel and soon after glaze and sugar. ENJOY it warm with a hot mug of apple cider. These are pure perfection! YUM!
Such bounty! Yum!
ReplyDelete