Some of my favorite things about my blog are the wonderful recipes friends and family send my way to try. This recipe today comes from a family friend, Doug Sieplinga. I fondly remember growing up and seeing Doug and Donna and their daughters at church and always longing to go up to the Sieplinga cottage on warm Michigan summer days. Only recently did I come to find out that Doug is a baker as well!
Doug sent me his recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies which are jam packed with fun ingredients and remind me of Cowboy Cookies with a twist. The first thing I noticed about these cookies are the ingredients: walnuts, oatmeal, cornflakes and chocolate chips. I have heard of cornflakes in cookies before, as well as oatmeal and nuts, but never all three together. I am happy to say the combination works!
I did have to make some substitutions. I made these a couple weekends ago for a Superbowl Party I was attending. I didn’t have much time and had to switch Crisco with butter, as well as omitted the Walnuts (as some of you know… I’m not a big nut fan and didn’t have any in the house). But even with the substitutes these cookies are great. I love the chewiness of the oatmeal and the crunch of the cornflakes. Everyone at the party loved them too!
Doug’s Jam Packed Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter-flavored Crisco (I substituted with flour)
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup walnuts (amount before chopping)
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup cornflakes
18oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, Crisco, eggs and vanilla in a bowl by hand. This is easier than it sounds, I mixed a few ingredients at a time and slowly added more as I went. Lastly add walnuts, oatmeal, cornflakes, and chocolate chips and continue to mix by hand. Once everything is fully incorporated, place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes and then rotate and bake for another 8 minutes. I baked mine for less than this because my oven tends to be hot, but as Doug recommends, “the art is watching for golden brown.” My first batch came out a bit darker then I wanted because I was not watching close enough, so beware! Doug also recommends that if you are going to double the recipe you should still only mix one batch at a time. Happy Baking!
A special thanks for Doug Sieplinga for sending me this recipe.
No comments:
Post a Comment