Sunday, February 5, 2012

Magic in the Middle Cookies Take Two- The Fudgy Version


I felt like the last magic in the middle cookies I made were lacking.  They were too dry and dense.  Deep down I knew there was a better version out there… I just had to find it.  Usually if a cookie doesn’t work out I put the recipe in the “never again” pile and move on; but there was something about the chocolate peanut butter mix that made my mouth water.  I had to find a better option. 

Perfect softened butter consistency

After hours searching on the internet, I found the picky palate blog which led me to this recipe.  I was meeting up with some friends for a movie night and decided now was the time to try once again and battle my new nemesis… magic in the middle.


Right away I knew these cookies were different.  The dough was super oily and chocolaty.  It didn’t crumble like the last dough and the butter was melted which is a quick way of knowing the cookie would be a lot chewier.  The dough was easy to work with and making a chocolate/peanut butter sandwich was a much smarter way of getting the peanut butter in the middle. 


After the first bite I knew I had found my cookie.  They were chewy and fudgy with a surprise of peanut butter in the middle.  My only complaint, and I hesitate to even write this, is I think I like the peanut butter filling of the other magic in the middle cookies better.  When I make these again I may try the pb filling from the first recipe with the chocolate dough of the second.  That being said, the first pb filling dough was dry and the second pb dough was wet because of the addition of the egg.  So it could throw off the consistency.


Either way these cookies are YUMMY!!!  A must for any peanut butter and chocolate lover.


Magic in the Middle Cookies Take Two- The Fudgy Version

Chocolate Cookie Dough:
1 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups chocolate chips
1 cup cocoa powder

Peanut Butter Filling:
1 cup peanut butter
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl beat sugar and butter together.  Add eggs and butter mixing until well combined.  Place flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture beating until just incorporated.  Add cocoa powder and chocolate chips and continue mixing. 

In a separate bowl stir peanut butter and sugar together.  Add egg and continue mixing until fully incorporated. 

Now onto forming the chocolate peanut butter sandwich.  If you have cookie scoops you can use the small scoop for the peanut butter and a medium scoop for the chocolate.  I just used my hands and formed smaller peanut butter balls vs. the larger chocolate balls.  Stack the chocolate, peanut butter and chocolate balls one on top of the other and smoosh them with your hand.  Place on cookie sheet and bake for 14 to 16 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes on the pan and then cool completely on the cooling rack.  These cookies are amazing dunked in a 

No comments:

Post a Comment