I can successfully say, since my last post, I have turned my baking into a small side business. Ok… side business may be a little much. I have sold two orders of my iced sugar cookies, but I am excited to be doing something I love and making a little extra money in the process! So while I have been baking up a storm, most of what I have been baking is nothing new which explains my lack of posts.
That being said, a few weeks ago I tried a new chocolate chip cookie recipe that is super yummy. It’s called “The Chewy.” As many of you know, for years now I have been in pursuit of the perfect chocolate chip cookie. During my senior year of High School I worked at Crisans Coffee Shop and they had these cookies that were half-baked, melt in your mouth chocolate chip cookies. I can easily say that those cookies are what I long for and am trying to replicate. I probably was paid twice over with the intake of my cookie eating (plus the cookies I took home to Rachel!) these cookies were that good.
Now “The Chewy” are not the caliber of the half-baked, but they are definitely one of the best I have tried yet. This is an Alton Brown recipe that came highly recommended. The recipe calls for bread flour which has more protein which has more gluten which equals more chewiness. And the extra yolk adds extra chew as well. I brought these to an Oscar Party and between the 6 of us we almost polished them off! They are super chewy, but have that classic chocolate chip taste. These will be made again in my house, and probably sooner rather than later because it is study week and snacks are a must.
| Chewy goodness!! |
“The Chewy” Chocolate Chip Cookie
(makes 3 dozen cookies)
(Annoyingly all of the ingredients were measured in ounces. I used a scale to measure out my ingredients, but I will put the cup measurements in parenthesis for anyone who doesn’t want to be as precise.)
8 oz. butter (1 cup)
12 oz. bread flour (1 ½ cup)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 oz. sugar (¼ cup)
8 oz brown sugar (1 cup)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 oz. whole milk (I used skim and it turned out just fine) (1/8 cup or half a ¼ cup)
1 ½ tsp vanilla
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips (1 ½ cups)
Start by melting the butter and then put it in the fridge to let it cool slightly. Next sift together the flour, salt and baking soda into a bowl. With a mixer combine the butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed. Once combined, in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract. On slow speed add the egg mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and once the flour is fully worked in, stir in the chocolate chips.
Chill the dough for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 375. The recipe said to only put 6 cookies on a sheet, but I made them regular size and put 12 cookies on a sheet. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes rotating halfway through (the recipe said to bake for 15 but my first batch were a little on the dark side and I took them out at 12 minutes, so I lowered the time. That being said my oven is hot, so just make sure to watch them and when they just begin to brown remove them from the oven.) Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!
No comments:
Post a Comment