Sunday, March 10, 2013

Vanilla Bean Cinnamon Bars



This is my third “winter” in Charleston S.C.  The winters here can’t really be called winter because there is no snow and it never really gets below 40 degrees during the day, but for some reason this year winter doesn’t seem to want to leave.  Usually by this time we are basking in the Spring sun getting ready to hit the beach.  But today I am still cuddled under my blankets drinking tea.  While I am longing to sit on my porch drinking a Mojito, I must admit I enjoy my tea time.  Yet, sometimes you want to add a little sweetness to your tea.  Today was one of those days, so tried a new recipe, Vanilla Bean Cinnamon Bars.


I happened upon this recipe when I was surfing the internet and got drawn into the beautiful photography of a blog called The Pastry Affair.  Not only are her photographs amazing, she also adds a quote to each of her blog posting.  I mean, does it get better than baking and book quotes?  I had never tried one of her recipes, but I have “pinned” many, so I thought today would be the day.


I was drawn to this recipe because it combines two of my very favorite things: cinnamon and vanilla bean.  While in India last November we happened upon a wonderful tea/spice shop and while we were buying my favorite Masala Chai tea, the man behind the counter waved me over and told me he had something special for me, vanilla beans!  I was in heaven and bought a handful to bring home to Adam.  We usually use the vanilla beans to make ice cream, but today I used them in my baking!  The trick to vanilla beans is the paste inside.  Once you cut it open you use the back of your knife to scoop up any paste latched onto the inside of the pod.  Because vanilla beans are pricey I only used one bean and substituted vanilla extract for the remaining amount.

  
Dunked into a cup of tea, these bars are delightful.  They are definitely a hearty snack due to the addition of cornmeal, and a little on the dry side.  But they have a chewiness paired with the vanilla and cinnamon taste that make you want to continue eating.  I don’t think I would make them unless it were cold outside, but for today they do just the trick!


Vanilla Bean Cinnamon Bars   
Makes 16 bars

1 cup brown sugar (I used light brown sugar, but The Pastry Affair suggests dark)
6 Tbsps melted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 2 tsps vanilla extract)
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 9 -inch pan (or 8 x 8- inch, whichever you have).  Mix together the sugar, butter, milk, egg and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt).  Pour batter into pan and bake for 30-40 minutes.  If you want you can glaze them with a powdered sugar and milk glaze (1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp milk and 1 tsp vanilla). 

Grab a good book, a cup of hot tea and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! These sound perfect. And they're naturally gluten free!

    ReplyDelete