Let them eat cake! Or
should I say, let me eat cake! There is
something about the moistness paired with the creamy frosting… what could be
better. But the problem is that I only make
cake when I am going to be around a lot of people because then it actually gets
eaten. Having just two people in the
house, it feels like a waste making a big cake and then having ¾ left over to
dry up and crumble. For this reason I
rarely make cake. But last month, when I
was in NYC I went to my new favorite store NY Cake where I bought 5 inch cake
pans. That’s right… TINY CAKE
PANS!!!! Which means tiny cakes! And even more perfect, if you halve a cake
recipe, it equals three 5-inch cakes to make a layered masterpiece.
Since moving to the south I find any excuse to make cream
cheese frosting. So what goes best with
cream cheese frosting? Pumpkin and apple
spice are my immediate answers, but it’s not fall and those are saved for my
favorite month of the year, October.
Instead Red Velvet seemed like the next best thing. Adam doesn’t like Red Velvet much, but I’m
the baker, so I get final say.
I decided since Red Velvet is a quintessential Southern
dessert, I needed to get a recipe from a southern baker. Again I turned to Savannah ’s own, Back in the Day Bakery
Cookbook. It also helped that it was
halved easily, with everything divisible by two!
My only big mess up here was that I skimped on the red food
coloring and ended up with more a Pink Velvet Cake than Red. But all in all this cake was YUMMY. Even Adam loved it. We took it to our monthly
movie club and between the four of us we only finished just over half the
cake. Which meant leftovers, but just
the right amount that could be eaten before it became crumbly and stale. The cake was super moist with a hint of
chocolate and tanginess of buttermilk, smothered in cream cheese frosting. Now that I have my 5 inch pans… I may turn
into the cake baker instead of the cookie baker (doubtful, but my cake baking
will definitely increase). Perhaps if
you come visit I will make you your own tiny cake!
| My favorite addition: sugar crystals from Wild Flour Bakery |
(Three 5 inch cakes)
If you double the recipe it will make two 9-inch cakes.
1 ½ cups cake flour
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp cocoa powder sifted
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ ounce red food coloring (I just estimated)
½ tsp cider vinegar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
Butter and flour the cake pans and line with parchment paper
on the bottom. Sift together the flour,
baking soda and cocoa and set aside. I
once skipped this step and I had balls of cocoa powder throughout the cake, so
make sure to sift! Cream together the
butter, oil, and sugar until very pale and thick. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each
addition. Add the food coloring, vinegar
and vanilla. Mix. Slowly add the sifted dry ingredients in
thirds, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the four.
Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Tap the pans firmly on the countertop to
remove any air bubbles. Bake for about
25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes then
remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
To assemble the cake, use a bread knife and cut off the top
of two of the cakes so they are flat.
This will make layering possible.
Frost making sure to leave generous frosting between each layer. The cake can be stored wrapped in plastic for
up to 3 days.
Cream Cheese Frosting
(makes about 2 ½ cups)
4 tablespoons butter but into chunks, at room temperature
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
½ tsp vanilla
2 ½ cups confectioners sugar
Mix the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth and
creamy. Gradually add the confectioners
sugar, beating until light and fluffy. I
add the sugar in small doses tasting until I feel like it is the perfect
sweetness.
This makes me smile. And want a Tiny Cake.
ReplyDelete