You know when you have a wonderful idea and it doesn’t pan
out… well that is the definition of these cookies. A few years ago I fell in love with lavender
whip cream. The subtle flowery hints with
the sugary airy whip cream was all I could think about. So when I saw this recipe for lavender
cookies I thought it would be “perfection” as well. When I was in New York my sister took me to NY Cake, a
baking store filled with baking products, in other words, my heaven. While there I asked the clerk if he had any
dried lavender to bake with and he instead pointed me to lavender extract. Boy was that a mistake.
| NEVER BUY LAVENDER BAKING OIL! |
The recipe I chose to make was from The Back in the Day
Bakery Cookbook, based on a southern bakery in Savannah .
I haven’t been there, but my friend Meg says it’s the best bakery she
has ever been to, which of course caught my interest. Lavender Shortbread cookies were described as
one of their best sellers with “floral notes.” It was a very easy recipe taking maybe 10
minutes to mix everything together. It
called for dried lavender, but since I had my lavender extract I thought I
would substitute. Again… bad idea.
The end result was a well textured cookie that tasted at
first a little like licorice and after a few more bites tasted like soap. I covered them with cream cheese frosting
making them edible, but nothing I wanted to eat. I knew the extract could be a little much so I
only put in ¼ teaspoon, but even that was too much for my taste buds. I think these cookies could potentially be
very good. They ultimately were soft
shortbread cookies, which are usually right up my alley, but it was just that the
lavender was way too overwhelming. So
the lesson I learned, used dry lavender when called for and keep away from
lavender extract. I’d be curious, if
anyone tries these with dried lavender tell me how they taste. I’m guessing because the dried lavender
wouldn’t be as incorporated, they could be really good cookies.
Lavender Shortbread
(24 cookies)
2 sticks butter
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp kosher salt
1 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp dried lavender
Sugar for dusting the tops of the cookies
Beat the butter, vanilla and salt on medium speed until
smooth and creamy. Turn the speed to low
and add the confectioners sugar. Beat
until light and fluffy. Add the flour in
thirds, beating until just incorporated.
Stir in the lavender and finish mixing by hand to make sure everything
is thoroughly mixed and the lavender is evenly incorporated.
Refrigerate dough at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours. Form dough balls, place on a parchment or
silpat lined pan, flatten each cookie with the palm of your hand and then dust
the tops with sugar. Preheat the oven to
350 and bake the cookies, one pan at a time, for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
No comments:
Post a Comment