Sunday, December 11, 2011

Peppermint Bark


I am no candy maker.  Baker yes… candy maker no.  Two Christmases ago Adam and I thought it would be fun to try to make truffles.  After three hours, some tears, and nothing to show for myself I can truthfully say, “I am no candy maker.”  Yet, something always draws me to candy.  



This year I decided I wanted to make Peppermint Bark.  After Christmas shopping and seeing Peppermint Bark in every checkout lane I started to get curious.  I have never eaten peppermint bark, but if it is this hyped up, it must be good.  After looking online I found out it is probably the easiest candy you could ever make, which made me start thinking… why would someone pay $10 for a box of peppermint bark when you could make it so easily for a fraction of the price.





As I researched peppermint bark I found that the only difference between homemade and store bought is that homemade has to stay in the fridge and store bought is tempered chocolate so it won’t melt.  Other than that… there’s nothing to it.  All you need is dark chocolate, white chocolate, candy canes and a double boiler.  This is my kind of candy! 



Peppermint Bark
(Makes about 25 pieces depending on your size)

6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (I used chocolate chips)
6 oz. white chocolate (You won’t want to use white chocolate chips for this, but instead
try to find a bar with cocoa butter.  I found a block for a dollar at Trader Joes.)
2 tsp vegetable oil
½ cup crushed candy canes (I put mine in a zip lock and crushed them with my ladle)

Line a 9x9 or 8x8 square pan with aluminum foil.  Try to make the foil as smooth as possible with no wrinkles.  Using a double boiler melt the semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tsp. of vegetable oil.  Make sure the heat is on medium low so the chocolate does not burn.  Once melted, spread into the bottom of the lined pan making it as smooth as possible.  Place the pan into the fridge for at least 30 minutes so the chocolate can harden. 

Using the double boiler again melt the white chocolate with 1 tsp. vegetable oil.  Once melted, pour the white chocolate over the hardened dark chocolate.  Do not use a spatula to spread, but instead pick up the pan and turn it from side to side, letting the white chocolate spread evenly on top.  Then sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the white chocolate and put back in the fridge for at least another 30 minutes. 

Once the candy is hardened, lift the entire block from the pan using the aluminum foil.  Either break or cut the block with a knife, forming small irregular pieces.  Store in the fridge.  You can now call yourself a candy maker!

1 comment:

  1. Never eaten it?? Welcome to the dark side! This sounds AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete