I’m back! Yes, I know I have neglected my blog for the past 3 months. I have many excuses (the wedding, honeymoon, traveling, decorating my house, the heat of the south), but the important thing is I am back to baking! Last weekend I noticed that my freezer had been without cookies for months and that needed to change (although as I write this Adam is eating the last frozen Oreo cookie so it looks like the freezer is bare yet again). I was going to my friend Meg’s house for girl’s night and decided that it was the perfect opportunity to try some of the new recipes I had gotten from my bridal shower months before. My cousin Jen gave me her Oreo cookie recipe and I had wanted to try them for months now.
I love Oreo cookies. My mom used to buy them in bulk and keep them in the basement in the “snack drawer”. For all my friends who were not introduced to the “snack drawer,” this is where my mother would keep TONS of cookies, crackers, pretty much any snack that you could imagine. Oreos were always my favorite, especially double stuffed, although I was also a fan of the peanut butter and mint Oreos. It was not unlikely that Rach and I would finish off an entire package in one sitting.
Ever since all the crazy trans-fat statistics however I have tried to decrease my Oreo intake. So when my cousin Jen told me about her homemade Oreo recipe I knew I had to try them!
Oreo Cookies:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
For the cookie:
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar (less is like store bought)
½ cup and 2 Tbsp room temp unsalted butter (1 ¼ stick)
1 large egg
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar (less is like store bought)
½ cup and 2 Tbsp room temp unsalted butter (1 ¼ stick)
1 large egg
1 tsp mint extract (if you want mint Oreos)
Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar with a mixer. Add butter, then egg and continue mixing until dough comes together (this can take a while). Using a teaspoon form dough into rounded balls and place on lined cookie sheets. Flatten with your hand. Bake 9 minutes (less if you like chewy cookies), rotate the pan after 5 minutes.
For the filling:
For the filling:
½ stick room temp unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
¼ cup shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco)
2 cups sifted powder sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Cream butter and shortening together with a mixer. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Turn mixer on high and beat until light and fluffy.¼ cup shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco)
2 cups sifted powder sugar
2 tsp vanilla
After the cookies have cooled, assemble cookies by spreading the filling with a knife or ½ inch round tip pastry bag to place cream in center (I don’t have pastry bags so I just used a knife).
Jen also recommended you use ice cream between cookies for ice cream sandwiches which sounds delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!
No comments:
Post a Comment