Sunday, March 13, 2011

Double Chocolate Cookies


There are days when you just need chocolate.  After dealing with the stress of starting a new job and working in the evenings at my old job... I was in dire need of sleep and chocolate.  I woke up yesterday morning dreaming of a gooey, chocolate, chocolate chip cookie. I wanted it to have a fudgy consistency and to be super rich to quell my chocolate craving.  Plus Adam's brother Andrew is coming into town and I always like to have fresh cookies waiting.  The problem was I only had one egg... and since I no longer live in NYC where I can walk around the corner and grab a carton of eggs, I needed to make a decision.  Do I get in the car and drive to pick up eggs, or do I make do with the one egg I have.  On a Saturday morning while I am still in my PJ's, I will always make do with one egg I have.



I picked a recipe that I have been wanting to try for some time.  Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies from allrecipes.com.  They have a nice little feature where you can type in the amount of cookies you want and it will switch the ingredients amounts so that I could make the recipe with just one egg.  Phew!  When looking at the recipe I realized that they only used white sugar.  Since I like chewy cookies, I replaced some of the white sugar with brown sugar.  I also sifted the cocoa powder and flour together.  This is because I made a red velvet cake last fall where I didn't sift the cocoa powder and it ended up having chunks in the cake.  While I am usually not one to sift, in this situation, for the good of the cookie, I decided I'd take the time.



After all of the ingredients are added together the dough becomes pretty thick with a fudgy consistency.   And warm out of the oven, the cookies are super chewy with the perfect crunch on the edges.  You can distinctly taste the cocoa powder which adds a dark richness.  I wanted the chocolate to be a little more fudgy and sweet.  Last night when we ate them again they had lost the crunch, but were still super soft.  I feel like something is missing though... maybe I need to put a blob of ganache in the middle of the cookie (ganache makes everything better) or add some melted chocolate and decrease the cocoa powder.  Either way these cookies are wonderful, but still need some work to become a staple "Laura Cookie".  If you are someone who likes dark, rich cookies this is definitely a cookie for you!


For my peanut butter fix I added some PB chips to a few cookies!  YUM!
Double Chocolate Cookies
(makes 27 cookies)


  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the softened butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla.  Sift the flour and cocoa powder together and then add the baking soda and salt.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until well incorporated.  It will become a thick fudge-like consistency.  Then add the chocolate chips or any other flavored chips you feel like experimenting with.

Place small balls of cookie dough on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Let cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then move to a cooling rack.    

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... I'll take one of those with the Peanut Butter chips.

    ReplyDelete