When I crave a cookie… this is the cookie I crave. This is probably the recipe I make the most and is considered the classic "Laura cookie." Peanut Butter and chocolate, moist, soft cookie, with crumbly outside but perfect middle, what more could you want? This week I was saying goodbye to the kids that I have been volunteering with at North Charleston Elementary school . They are a group of 5th grade girls and we meet once a week to discuss issues like self-esteem, cliques, friends and family. I wanted to give them a going away present, but I didn’t want to fill them up with candy. What better gift than cookies!
When I give the gift of cookies I usually only feel comfortable with recipes that I know and love. There is nothing worse than making a bad batch of cookies that you are supposed to give away. This is why when I make something that I'm going to share, I usually choose a token “Laura recipe.” Most of my friends and family have tried these cookies because I have brought them to Birthdays, “Lost” viewings and Bachelorette Parties. I LOVE THESE COOKIES. I found this recipe about 4 years ago at allrecipes.com and after some tweaking I have developed them into what I think is the ideal cookie.
The key is the brown sugar and the softened butter. Brown sugar always makes cookies softer and softened butter helps with that too. Just make sure you don’t melt the butter too much because then it makes the dough very greasy. The other trick is to bake the cookies the least amount possible. The softer the cookie the better! Tip: These cookies are also great frozen, so you can keep them from getting stale!
With a little gift on the side, they make the perfect present. The girls loved them just as much as I do!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes about 3 ½ dozen)
1 ½ cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup of Chocolate Chips and Peanut Butter Chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl add the flour and baking soda, stir together and set to the side. In a bigger bowl cream the softened butter (I usually soften it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds) with the sugars and peanut butter. Add the vanilla and egg and mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture beating until fully incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. I usually add about a half bag of chocolate chips and a half bag of peanut butter chips, but you can do less or more depending on your ideal chip/dough ratio.
Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until they are slightly browned around the edges. Cool on a cooling rack and either store in an air-tight container or freeze! Enjoy!!
You just made my whole day by posting this one!! Let's see if I can actually make them right this time. I seriously think that your cookies have Laura love in them which make them impossible to make quite as well as you do. :)
ReplyDeletequick question--does it matter what time of peanut butter you use? does the natural kind work as well?
ReplyDeleteYup! You can use natural peanut butter... that is what I use now. I still think they taste just as good.
ReplyDeleteI love these cookies! And need to do some baking this week. Quick question, is it one cup EACH of the chocolate and PB chips, or one cup total of both?
ReplyDeleteAmber: I would do a 3/4 cup of each, or you can get the bag with the chocolate and pb chips together and just add that. I actually don't measure chocolate chips, I usually just put 2 handfuls in until I feel like it is a good ratio. It totally depends on how many chips you like in your cookie. I prefer less, but if you like a lot, add more until you feel like it is the perfect mix. It's totally up to your preference. Sorry I'm not more exact. :)
ReplyDelete