Oh pumpkin.... how I love you. I meant to blog this recipe a month ago when I first made it, but studying for my LCSW exam and traveling for medical school interviews, I have had little time for blogging. As Thanksgiving approaches however, I add this to my blog as a MUST bake pumpkin recipe.
Here's what I love about this recipe. First, it is the easiest thing to make. Literally all you have to do is dump a bunch of ingredients into a bowl, mix and pour into a pan. Second, this cake has no butter! Instead it uses oil which makes it melt in your mouth; I like to think it may even be a little healthier for you too. Third, it is topped with cream cheese frosting! Is there really anything better in life than pumpkin paired with cream cheese? But this cake is so good you don't even need the cream cheese frosting.
| Cream Cheese Frosting! |
So as you prepare for Thanksgiving add this to your menu plan. Ok, maybe not in place of pumpkin pie, but you could make it for the big Michigan vs. Ohio State Football Game viewing party this Saturday! Or, if you're anything like me, you will just eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, leaving none to share.
| Yeah, I snuck a piece or two... couldn't wait any longer. |
Melt in Your Mouth Pumpkin Cake
(recipe from: www.howto-simplify.com)
Cake:
4 eggs
1 and 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup canola oil
1 can pumpkin (15oz)
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese frosting (room temperature)
1/2 cup softened butter
3-4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Mix together eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin. In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Pour the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and mix until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick until it comes back clean to make sure it has cooked all the way.
While the cake is cooling mix together the cream cheese, butter, sugar (add only until the desired sweetness) and vanilla until smooth. Frost and serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment