Some of you know of my obsession with fall, although living
in South Carolina
fall looks different from how it did up north.
There are few changing leaves and the weather remains on the warmer
side, but in my kitchen it is fall. Bring
on the pumpkins, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. For the past two weekends I have been making
my favorite fall recipe: Pumpkin Bread.
This recipe was found by my sister Rachel when we were Americorps
volunteers. She was a in the Lutheran
Volunteer Corps and they had a cookbook just like many church cookbooks. The recipe was originally Christa’s Pumpkin
Bread but I have made some changes to make it healthier.
Instead of all white flour I use half white and half wheat
flour. I also put in half the sugar to
decrease the sweetness. My favorite part
is the applesauce which gives the bread a delicious moistness paired with the
prominent pumpkin flavor, and of course I add chocolate chips. I also love that it makes two loaves (I
freeze the 2nd loaf until I’m ready to dig in). Plus it is SO easy. It takes me about 10 min to whip up a batch.
All year long I wait for fall to come so I can bake this
recipe. It is my favorite of all
favorites.
| Adorable mini-loaves! |
Healthy Pumpkin Bread
(2 Loaves)
1 ¾ cups white all purpose flour
1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 ½ cup sugar
2 cups pumpkin (15 oz can)
1 cup applesauce
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups chocolate chips (or a few handfuls)
Mix all the dry ingredients together, then using a mixer add
the liquid ingredients into the dry (just dump them in) and mix until
smooth. Pour into 2 greased bread
pans. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. That’s it!
No comments:
Post a Comment